Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thing #8

Before I started this thing, I had no idea what a wiki was. I had heard the word before but, I didn't know anything about wikis or their purpose. After doing a little clicking and reading, I have figured out what wikis are and I have also seen some great ways to use wiki's in the classroom. In some my favorite wikis that I saw, the teachers did an excellent job of finding ways to include students. There were even a few wikis were teachers were able to include young students, like Kindergartens and/or First Graders.

My mind is already churning and trying to come up with ways that I can incorporate wikis into my classroom. I think wikis are a great Web 2.0 tool that students can be introduced to and find that they can be successful. My only concern is that I am not sure I can obtain a wiki address that will not be blocked by my school district. Looks like I will need to do some investigation.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think pbworks or wikispaces are blocked in the district. The district also has a wiki option on its web20 server. You would need to contact your school's technology facilitator to find out about using that one.

    I'm glad that you are thinking about using a wiki. They are great places to gather/post information for your class.

    ReplyDelete