Monday, October 5, 2009

Thing #1

As I think about the 7 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners, I reflect back on my days when I graduated with my bachelor's and started my first year of teaching. I think I was living in the land of "Da-Nile." I thought I had learned everything I needed to learn in college and I was prepared for my first year of teaching. Now, I think back and I just pray that I didn't cause permanent damage to the students in my first class.

Since I graduated with my bachelors degree, I have earned my Master's degree and taken too many staff development classes to name. I know that I am a much better teacher now than I was then. I think I have used to 7 1/2 habits of lifelong learners without even realizing it.

However, if I look at each habit individually, I think the one that I have used and will continue to use "accept responsibility for your own learning." I think the only way you can improve yourself is to take the initiative to do it yourself. I realized quickly when I started teaching that I didn't know everything. I needed to learn more. With that thought, I have tried to continue to learn new things every year.

I think the habit that I have the most problems with is teaching and mentoring others. I am the person that always has alot on my plate. I am always busy. I just don't have the patience to mentor or teach others. It just frustrates me when I have to spend time teaching people and they don't "get it"the first time. Then I have to spend more time reteaching. It tests my patience.

During the course, I think I will use the habit "Begin with the end in mind." I know that the end of this course, I want to be successful in all the 2.0 activities. I want to be able to use the things in my class. That is my goal for the class and I guess we'll see how the class unravels.

Stat tuned to see how the 2.0 activities are used by me and can be used in my classroom.

1 comment: